Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Making Organic Fruit Leather

We just bought a bunch of blueberries to use in fruit cups for the 4th only to realize too late all of the daycare children were out all week for the holiday! So we had all these blueberries and decided we could make fruit leather instead!

I cooked the blueberries for about 10 minutes in a few tablespoons of water, then added applesauce and honey. Then I blended it all together in the blender and poured it out onto two cookie sheets lined with parchment (don't use wax paper!!).



The oven was set on the lowest temperature, and I propped it open with an oven mitt to get it cooler inside (you want to dehydrate the fruit, not cook it). If you have a food dehydrator you can use that instead.

It took about 8 hours but when they were done they were so pretty and perfect. Next time I'll do this overnight instead of during the day, though. 

I used scissors to cut them into strips. Unfortunately, my son ate them all before I had a chance to take any more pictures. :-)

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment