Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Making Salt Dough

With the sun still turned to the mid-high 90's I want to make the most of our sun power!


 
Today we're making salt dough and using the sun to 'bake' them for us.
All the basic ingredients went into our recipe- salt, flour and water. But then, after we'd already started mixing, I realized we were short enough flour, so we improvised with dry oats!

I grabbed some oats we had used for a soap making project. The kids went to work grinding the oats by hand, then I used the spice mill to finish it all up and voila! Flour!!


Anytime we make salt dough the kids LOVE the rolling pin part and the kneading part. Sad faces inevitably ensue when there aren't enough rolling pins and they have to wait a turn to share. Oh the torture!! AND a happy discovery- the kitties ate all the crumbs that fell on the floor so I had less clean-up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment